Blood Donors of America proudly announces an essay competition among students from any of the colleges and universities in North America (United States, Canada, and Mexico). The theme of the essay is saving lives by donating blood.
Donate blood to save lives- The most precious gift of life.
1. Essay must be original work of the participant. Students are encouraged to do research on the subject; but essays must be written in their own words. Any imitation or plagiarism will result in disqualification.
2. Essay must be composed in between 3000 and 5000 words.
3. Essay should be written in English.
4. Deadline for submission of the essay is June 1, 2014. Essay received after midnight June 1, 2014 will not be entertained.
5. All entrees must be electronically submitted by midnight June 1, 2014 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Essay must be double-spaced, typed on 11 or 12 size of Arial font in Microsoft Word or comparable software, left aligned with a margin of 1” on all sides.
7. Essays will be evaluated on four different aspects: originality, real life experience/personal connection, value of blood donation/clarity and strength of argument/thesis, and take home message.
8. BDA will nominate a five-person panel of judges from among distinguished members of the community for evaluating the essays.
9. Three winners will be recognized with cash prizes and certificates of appreciation from BDA.
First, second, and third prize winners will receive $500, $300, and $200, respectively.
Prizes will be distributed at a function during ANA Convention in Washington DC on July 4-6, 2014. Winners are encouraged to be present at the prize distribution ceremony; but attendance is not mandatory to receive the award.