[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by KahileKeKahileKe
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Kurakani General Discussion Refresh page to view new replies
 school took kid to emergency room, no insurance
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 06-26-17 9:19 AM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Hello Sajha sathiharu,
My kid got a minor injury in school and he was rushed to the emergency room. Now I got a bills of three thousand dollar (hospital charges $2000, and ambulance $1000). There was no insurance.
Kehi upaya chha kee yo bill minaha garne or ghataune?

agrim dhanyabad advise ko lagee.
Posted on 06-26-17 9:32 AM     [Snapshot: 14]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Only with dollar sign shows you are not posting from hometown, Nepal.
Each State has it's own rules and regulations. Without knowing it , it is hard to advise.
Most hospitals provide finical help , apply for it, if you qualify will be waived.

Posted on 06-26-17 10:07 AM     [Snapshot: 68]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Thanks magorkhe1, will go there and ask if they have any help...
Posted on 06-26-17 11:06 AM     [Snapshot: 152]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

If you are in Canada, you are covered.
If you are in US you may not have much choice. Again it depends on your status and income. If you are a US citizen, you should apply for medicaid. Green card does not qualify for medicaid.

One advice to you: Even if you don't have insurance, please get insurance for AT LEAST school going kids. You never know what happens. I have faced that when I was in graduate school. That time I didn't have insurance for my family members. Later I look insurance for only school going child.

Hope, something will come up to cover it.
Posted on 06-26-17 11:33 AM     [Snapshot: 181]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

if u r in visa no much choice pay it. u can seek financial assistant-ship that weavers 25 of your total cost. if u are citizen ( not green card) there are plenty of options. u cannot simply ignore it.

but if u r in any visa status, asylum seeker overstay or anything like that processing GC, applying for good job that needs security clearance, just go ahead n pay it( u can ask to pay in installments )..if u ignore the notice n if ur not a us citizen that creates a HUGE immigration problem in near future.

having no insurance is a SIN in this country, one op my friend got some heart issue in 2014 while he was a student in a community college, had some issue ( not major) was hospitalized for almost 7 days.. he got a surprising bill $73000..there was no way he could pay it he ignored the notice for six month.then he was in legal trouble.. later he got financial assistanceship n the bill reduced to around $30000. he is still paying it n will take almost 4 years from now to settle in full, thank god he has a stable IT job.

point here is dnt ignore the notice, take action, seek financial assistancship ( if u qualify it can reduce upto 70% of total bill depending which state u r in ) .. U r lucky that u just got $2000 surprising bill, it could have been $100000 or even more.. Insure ur kid for future reference.

if u need any legal help, we are here to assist u. gook luck. n all the best

Posted on 06-26-17 10:22 PM     [Snapshot: 539]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

So basically for any assistance ship you need to be poor from the government standard (which is <$12000 Per annum for single--most of us don't qualify). Second, you can tell them to reduce the bill because of economic hardship-- which I doubt I'd they would do anything about ) . I think you may end up with payment plan. Good luck. My 2 cents: don't take insurance for granted.
Posted on 06-27-17 8:54 AM     [Snapshot: 710]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Dhanyabad pheri pani for providing your inputs: magorkhe1, NepaliBhai, Sajan, Laalmon

My kid says he was pushed by one of his friends and fell. I went to school and school does not want to discuss it.
Posted on 06-27-17 10:18 AM     [Snapshot: 762]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     1       ?         Liked by

As others said above, just talk to them and your bill might be reduced significantly. When I was a grad student, my spouse had some health issues and we got a bill for about $7,500. We talked to them, provided proof of income and they reduced it to $360. Even if they refuse to reduce, or even if the reduced amount is too much for you to pay upfront, go for the payment plan. But don't ignore them otherwise you will be in trouble later.
Posted on 06-27-17 11:01 AM     [Snapshot: 806]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Your kid might be eligible for CHIP, regardless of your legal status. Which state do you live in? Most of the suggestions in this thread are spot on.
In another note, why would the school not provide the detail?
Is your kid being bullied at school?
Is he being singled out because of his race or economic status?
I think you have more serious issue to sort out.

Posted on 06-27-17 3:04 PM     [Snapshot: 893]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

thank you, thank you all. The world is still better because people like you are there, to read the posts, and to provide your helpful thoughts and experiences.

Posted on 06-27-17 4:35 PM     [Snapshot: 952]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Gandarbha is right, Your kid might be eligible for CHIP, regardless of your legal status.

... and CHIP pays for outstanding previous medical bills too. Apply for CHIP before paying bills. Good luck!
Posted on 06-27-17 5:04 PM     [Snapshot: 969]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

@ Nepalibhai,

Where did you get this information that green card won't qualify for medicaid ? Green card holder files tax returns as US citizen. Most refugees are eligible to receive food stamps and medicaid within few days of arrival in US.
Its sad medical bills are complicated. Hope everything will work out.
Posted on 06-28-17 8:35 AM     [Snapshot: 1122]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Please be polite and ask the hospital and city to waive off your bills (Mail/Email). Let them know your situation and give as much information as you can on why you can not afford to pay.
I was in same shoes back in 2010. All dues ~2800 were waived off.

Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 90 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
What stocks to buy -- Any recommendation
महानियिका प्रियंका कार्कीजीलाइ खुल्ला पत्र !
❤️ सम्मर लभ ❤️
A New Start
I m offered a Job in Bank in Nepal, should i go back ?
हाकिमनी संग- आज सुक्रबार -३
भात भन्या भात हो!
मेरो बारे मा दोस्रो अप्डेट्
The Facebook Surprise
जोइटीन्ग्रे aka अमेरिकन नागरिक
यसरी मेरो कुमारत्व गुमेको थियो
तोर्पे लाई मडर्न बनाउने केही उपाय हरु
मेरो जिन्दगी Java र बाबा मा अड्कियो
Stock ley dherai lai dubayo
मैले पीउन के छाडे थे जिउनै बिर्सेछु
कोविद र गोविंद
Nepali girls recipe for fancy Korean ramen noodle hack 🍜
म सम्बन्धी केहि अपडेट
भात भन्या भात हो!
महानियिका प्रियंका कार्कीजीलाइ खुल्ला पत्र !
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters