[Show all top banners]

Replies to this thread:

More by rajankhanal
What people are reading
:: Subscribe
Back to: Living in America Refresh page to view new replies
 Is Granduate Assistantship of 1400 USD enough to support my family with a child in US?
Keywords associated with this thread

living in US Visa for family
SAVE! for ease of future access.
Posted on 02-01-13 8:06 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Hi Friends, 
I have recently received graduate assistantship. Could you help me answering following to question?
- Whether this 1400 USD is sufficient to support my family?
- Will it be possible to obtain Visa for my wife and a child at US EMbassy with my GTA? OR, do I need to show big amount of money

Thanks for your quick response.

Posted on 02-01-13 8:17 PM     [Snapshot: 40]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

1400 a month?
Which place?
Provide important info if you seek answer.
Posted on 02-01-13 8:21 PM     [Snapshot: 45]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Thanks, well, it is monthly. Should there be any problem / financial issue by the embassy concerning my family?
Posted on 02-01-13 8:23 PM     [Snapshot: 62]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Thanks Kiddo.  Sorry, forgot to mention it is in Hawaii, Manoa. I wait for your reply.
Posted on 02-01-13 8:25 PM     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

It depends which place you are going to. Is 1400 per month (I assume it is per month) before tax or after? If before tax, it is definitely not sufficient for a family of three in east coast or west coast states. I managed to support my family of three with $1800 per month before tax in upper midwest. However there is an option. If you apply for J1 visa, your spouse can work legally.

Posted on 02-01-13 8:26 PM     [Snapshot: 79]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Hawaii is expensive bro

Posted on 02-01-13 8:32 PM     [Snapshot: 83]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

 THanks Sparty! I need to think about this. This is the PhD research assistantship. However, I have not confirmed yet the amount. I was assuming that it is not less than 1400 USD (after tax). Certainly it is after tuition waiver. Maybe it is less than that.
Posted on 02-01-13 8:42 PM     [Snapshot: 133]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

Hawaii State is very expensive.the sales tax is 13.5 percent which is comfortably expensive than most of the state
Posted on 02-01-13 8:52 PM     [Snapshot: 160]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

No. 1400/month will not be enough to support your family in Hawaii.

Posted on 02-02-13 7:58 AM     [Snapshot: 393]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

you need at least 2500/month to support your family even if you live poorly (not eating out, movies, mall, etc.)
Posted on 02-02-13 12:48 PM     [Snapshot: 585]     Reply [Subscribe]
Login in to Rate this Post:     0       ?        

 Hi Rajan, 

Here is my understanding of your situation: 
- You have an income of $1400/mth (without tax) and you dont have any other incomes
- Your University is at Honolulu 
- You have a child and a wife

So the straight forward answer to your question is NO. And this iswhy 

-- Hawaii is the most expensive state in the US. The cost of apartments (Studio) starts from $1100.
-- Raising a kid is expensive in US dude. Living cost of a child is higher than an adult. And you too have to support your wife. Think about that. 
-- I dont know about University of Hawaii or you program but the amout you got for your GA is very less. Also you dont know if your health insurance is covered or if you have to pay any other fee to your University. 
-- So if you are still in Nepal and you want to bring your wife and kid then I would suggest think deep about it and do a lot of research before making any sort of decision. 

What I would sugest is that since you already have the GA, join the university and please dont bring your wife and kid now. After a semester, find a University in cheaper US states and look for higher paying GAs and then once you are settled bring your wife and kid. There wont be any problem bring your wife and kid in F2 visa. Visa will be easily granted. 

All the best 


Please Log in! to be able to reply! If you don't have a login, please register here.



Within last 200 days
Recommended Popular Threads Controvertial Threads
What stocks to buy -- Any recommendation
TRUMP 2016!!! Here is why?
जोडि त भाग्यले जुराउँछ - हिरोइन स्वेताले यसरि दोश्रो पटक बिहे गर्न लागिन
ॐ श्री स्वस्थानी ब्रत कथा
लौ .. संसद नै बिघठन गरिदिएछन ओलिबाले
उस्तै उस्तै हामी
Conservative discussions
Looking for Potential Match
Love Letters From The Past--SITARA
Ushering in new era of communism ...
Rain Rain .. Raut
Fox News: Wear the Damn Mask, it is not political issue but a public health issue.
Photo of the day
Amby Writes:- My Caffeine Indulgence- I
What stocks to buy now in 2021?
IT ले सम्बन्ध नै धराप मा पार्ला जस्तो भो
स्कूलमा पढेका कथा - भुतको शिकार, शिशिर बसन्तको कथा देखि टाउकोको मोल सम्म
मरिसकेको माओबादि र एमालेलाइ ब्युँताइदियो सर्बोच्चले
Nas and The Bokas: Coming to a Night Club near you
विद्या तेरो सिन्दूर खोइ, केपी ओली तेरो पोइ ..
TRUMP 2016!!! Here is why?
NOTE: The opinions here represent the opinions of the individual posters, and not of Sajha.com. It is not possible for sajha.com to monitor all the postings, since sajha.com merely seeks to provide a cyber location for discussing ideas and concerns related to Nepal and the Nepalis. Please send an email to admin@sajha.com using a valid email address if you want any posting to be considered for deletion. Your request will be handled on a one to one basis. Sajha.com is a service please don't abuse it. - Thanks.

Sajha.com Privacy Policy

Like us in Facebook!

↑ Back to Top
free counters